The summer makes me inherently lazy in the kitchen, but I still always want to bake and take advantage of seasonal produce. The solution? Borrow from other recipes and make a franken-dessert of sorts. I made my simple almond cake, took some of my Amaretto whipped cream from another recipe, and then tried Tish’s delicious honey-roasted peaches that she uses to top panna cotta. Assemble and voila! Another dessert entirely. All the ingredients can be made ahead but assemble right before you serve.
Makes one 8-inch cake
- One 8-ounce (227 grams) package almond paste
- 12 tablespoons (169 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs (200 grams)
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
- ½ cup (65 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large (14 ounces/397 grams) ripe peaches
- ¼ cup (84 grams) honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Amaretto Whipped Cream
- ½ cup (115 grams) cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan, line with parchment and set aside.
- In a bowl fitted for an electric mixer, crumble the almond paste into small pieces before adding the butter and sugar to the bowl. Cream the mixture together on medium-high until light and fluffy, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, allowing each to be incorporated before adding the next and then add the amaretto.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and salt and then with the mixer on low, add to the almond paste mixture until just combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted yields few or no crumbs.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely. Serve or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Make the Roasted Peaches:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Slice the peaches in half and remove the pits. Place the peaches, cut side up, in a shallow baking dish. In a glass measure or small bowl, whisk together the honey, cinnamon and salt. Drizzle the mixture over the peaches. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown in spots and softened. Cool, then cut each half into 5 wedges.
Make the Whipped Cream:
- When you’re ready to serve the cake, pour the heavy cream into a medium sized mixing bowl and whip on medium speed with a hand mixer until it begins to thicken.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and Amaretto and continue to whip until firm peaks. Use immediately by dolloping on the cake, topping with peaches and serving.