I almost felt embarrassed posting a rice krispie treat recipe, given how easy they are to make and find on the internet. But these turned out quite yummy, so I thought, why not? Everyone loves a tasty treat. My inspiration comes from Indian rice pudding, or kheer, which typically has hints of coconut, rose water and cardamom in it. Some have saffron as well, which I would imagine might also taste good in this application. These are a great dairy-free alternative to regular treats, and you can easily go vegan by swapping out the marshmallows for the vegan variety.
Makes 16 servings
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- One 10-ounce bag (283 grams) miniature marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon rose water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ cup (25 grams) chopped pistachios
- 5 ½ cups (145 grams) Rice Krispies cereal or similar
Make the Treats:
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray or coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large pan set over medium-low heat, melt the coconut oil and marshmallows, stirring often. Once almost melted, add the rose water and cardamom, stirring to combine.
- Remove from heat, add the pistachios and then the cereal, stirring vigorously to coat completely.
- Pour into the prepared pan and working quickly, lightly press evenly in the pan with greased hands. Allow to cool before removing to cut and serve. Treats can remain in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.