From the popular blogger known as The BakerMama comes her third delectable book Brilliant Bites, focusing on 75 foolproof small bite recipes for entertaining. We’re thrilled that it includes sweets, like this fun idea. Here’s what the author had to say:
This scrumptious spin on a traditional Italian treat fills crispy chocolate chip cookies with classic cannoli cream! Finish with a roll in pistachios to add some crunch.
Makes 24 Bites
- 1 cup (245 grams) whole-milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup (112 grams) mascarpone
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) crushed pistachios, for
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, or 115 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup (60 grams) mini chocolate chips,
- plus more for sprinkling
Make the Filling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the ricotta and mascarpone on medium until smooth. (You can also use a hand mixer.) Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Make the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C; gas mark 6). Line three baking sheets with parchment paper (or bake in batches).
- In a clean bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars on medium speed until well combined. (You can also beat by hand or use a hand mixer.) Add the egg and vanilla and beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt, then fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Scoop 48 heaping 1 teaspoon–size portions of cookie dough a few inches (7.5 cm) apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle each scoop of cookie dough with some mini chocolate chips. Press down on each scoop of dough to flatten slightly. Bake the cookies for 6 to 7 minutes, until golden brown and starting to crisp around the edges. Let the cookies cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cooled, remove the cannoli filling from the refrigerator. Turn half of the cookies over and scoop 1 tablespoon of filling onto them. Place another cookie on top of the filling to create a little cannoli sandwich. Sprinkle some crushed pistachios around the filling of each cannoli bite.
- Serve immediately, or cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 hour until ready to serve.
Excerpted from Brilliant Bites: 75 Amazing Small Bites for Any Occasion by Maegan Brown. Copyright 2023. Published with permission from Rock Point.