During an event hosted by Ocean Spray at The Nature Trail and Cranberry Bog at Patriot Place in Foxborough, MA, this delicious and simple recipe was prepared as the cranberries were being harvested. It’s an excellent way to repurpose canned cranberry sauce and comes together in just minutes.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup Ocean Spray® Fresh Cranberries
- 2 cans (14oz) Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted (chilled)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sanding sugar
For the Cranberry Filling:
- In a saucepan, mix fresh cranberries, canned whole berry sauce, water and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until fresh cranberries burst (about 10 min) and mix to combine.
- Take the sauce off the heat to cool and stir in lemon zest. Once the filling has cooled slightly, pour in an 8 or 9 in square baking dish.
For the Biscuit Topping:
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- Stir the cream and vanilla extract together. Pour cream mixture over flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Scoop out biscuits with a cookie scoop or large spoon and flatten slightly with your hands.
- Place the flattened biscuits on top of the cranberries in the baking dish. Repeat until you have covered most or all the filling.
- Brush the heavy whipping cream over the top of the biscuits and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the cranberry filling is bubbling and the biscuits are lightly golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Cobbler can be served warm or at room temperature. Enjoy with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Celebrity recipe brought to you by: Jesse Tyler Ferguson.
Published with permission from Ocean Spray.