Pecan snowball cookies studded with orange zest and an additional hit of Grand Marnier liqueur are sure to keep holiday guests happy. The eggless dough comes together quickly and can be made weeks in advance. I scoop the dough and roll into balls, then freeze until I’m ready to bake. Fantastic make ahead cookie for the holidays.
Recipe Notes: For the make ahead option – prepare dough, then scoop and roll into balls and freeze on sheet pan securely wrapped twice with plastic to prevent freezer burn.
Also, the Grand Marnier liqueur is optional but enhances the citrus. Orange juice may be substituted in place of Grand Marnier for non-alcoholic option.
Makes approximately 55 cookies
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup (75 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted pus more for rolling
- 2 ¼ cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier Liqueur (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¾ cup (108 grams) pecans, finely chopped
Make the Cookies:
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and honey until fluffy. Stir in the confectioners’ sugar, flour, salt, vanilla, orange zest, Grand Marnier and pecans. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F degrees and line sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough, then roll into balls. Place the cookie balls on prepared sheet pans and bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely, then roll in confectioners’ sugar. Store in airtight container for up to 4 days.