When you need to make an impressive dessert but aren’t interested in spending hours in the kitchen to prepare it, here’s a recipe for you. Store-bought frozen puff pastry is the base of this pretty dessert, and it’s baked until it’s puffy and golden brown and then topped with strawberry preserves, whipped mascarpone cream and rows of glistening strawberry slices. Finely chopped pistachios add an elegant finish.
Makes 6 servings
Puff Pastry Base:
- 1 (9.75 x 10.5-inch) sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (77 grams) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (121 grams) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons (14 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (from an organic lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1/3 cup (106 grams) plus ½ cup (162 grams) strawberry preserves, divided
- 1 1/2 pints (709 ml) organic strawberries, hulled, washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachio nuts
Make the Puff Pastry Base:
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on a work surface and roll it out to a 11 x 14-inch rectangle. Using a pastry cutter, trim the edges so that they are even.Transfer the sheet to the prepared baking sheet. Using a fork, prick the dough all over at 1-inch intervals, leaving a 1/2 -inch border around each edge. Brush the dough with the beaten egg, then fold ½-inch of the dough in on itself to create a border for the tart. Brush the border with the egg. Bake the dough for 18 to 20 minutes, until it is golden brown and puffed up. Transfer the base to a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the Mascarpone Cream:
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until the cream forms soft peaks when the whisk is lifted.
Assemble the tart:
- Using 1/3 cup (106 grams) of the strawberry preserves, spoon it out into 4 evenly spaced dollops on top of the pastry, then spread it into an even layer all over the base (you may need to gently press down on the puff pastry with your hands or a large spoon to make it level). Spoon the Mascarpone Cream over the preserves and spread it into an even layer. Arrange the strawberry slices in slightly overlapping rows over the cream, covering it completely. Place the remaining 1/2 cup (162 grams) of strawberry preserves into a microwave-safe cup and microwave until melted, about 15 seconds. Strain the melted preserves through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl and brush the strawberries with it to give them a shiny finish. Sprinkle the tart with the chopped pistachios. Serve the tart immediately (or refrigerate for up to 6 hours before serving).