This is a family recipe. With the addition of grounded walnuts and extra virgin olive oil, this carrot cake is very nutritious and healthy.
Makes one 9-inch cake, serves 12
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups (324 grams) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Scant 5 ½ cups (300 grams) shredded carrots, about 6 medium sized
- 1 1/2 cups (176 grams) walnuts, ground
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Confectioners’ sugar for decoration
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line and oil a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar until combined. Add the extra virgin olive oil, the orange juice and the orange zest and mix everything together. Add the carrots and walnuts and mix again.
- In another bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the carrot mixture.
- When everything is combined, add the mixture to the baking pan. Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted is clean.
- Cool entirely and dust with confectioner’s sugar, if desired.