This is not your everyday, ordinary kind of oatmeal. It’s special occasion oatmeal, enriched with maple syrup, pecans, butter, cinnamon and blueberries and baked until it’s golden brown and bubbly. I like to make this when I have house guests, because it’s super easy to put together, and makes a memorable impression. Soaking the oatmeal overnight with a little lemon juice enables its nutrients to be better absorbed by your body, and allows for easier digestibility of the grain.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups (148 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (236 grams) cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup (50 grams) pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup (106 grams) frozen blueberries (unthawed), divided
- 2 large (100 grams) eggs
- 3/4 cup (181 grams) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (150 grams) pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- The night before you bake the oatmeal, soak the oats: In a medium bowl, combine the oats with the water and lemon juice. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- The next day, when you’re ready to bake the oatmeal, position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350˚F (177˚C). Butter (or coat with non-stick cooking spray) the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round (or 8-inch square) baking dish or six 5-ounce ramekins.
- In a large bowl, stir together the soaked oats, baking powder, pecans, cinnamon and salt. Stir in half of the frozen blueberries. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, melted butter and vanilla. Add this mixture to the oats and stir just until combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and sprinkle with the remaining blueberries. Bake until the top is nicely browned and set, 40 to 50 minutes for the large dish, or 30 to 40 minutes for the individual ones. Serve the oatmeal warm with more maple syrup.
KOOV Ceramic Pie Dish with Handles, 9 Inches Deep Dish Pie Pan