When the heat of summer makes even the thought of stirring custard over a hot stove intolerable, here’s a recipe you will embrace. This creamy lemon ice cream is light and refreshing, yet super-easy to make, requiring no or stove-top cooking or churning in an ice cream machine. It’s wonderful on its own, especially with a sprinkling of salty-sweet almonds on top, but is also an ideal accompaniment to summer fruit pies and galettes. For the best texture, make sure to let the ice cream soften at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Makes about 1 quart
No-Churn Lemon Ice Cream:
- 14 ounces (397 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup (181 grams) whole milk
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from an organic lemon)
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups (348 grams) heavy cream
Sweet & Salty Almonds:
- 1/2 cup (61 grams) blanched slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) granulated sugar
- A generous pinch of fine sea salt
Make the ice cream:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and the whole milk. Whisk in the lemon juice, zest and salt. Set aside while you whip the cream.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream just until firm peaks begin to form (be careful not to overwhip it, as it can turn grainy very quickly!). Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture one-third at a time. Pour the ice cream into a plastic lidded container, then press plastic wrap onto the surface before putting on the lid; freeze overnight. Allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. The ice cream is best when eaten within 2 weeks.
Make the Sweet & Salty Almonds:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the slivered almonds in a small bowl and toss well with the vanilla, sugar and salt. Scatter the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 7 to 9 minutes, tossing them once during baking, until they are lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside to cool. Sprinkle the nuts over the ice cream before serving.
Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop by Midnight Scoop
StarPack Long Scoop Ice Cream Freezer Storage Container – for Home Made Ice Cream