This creamy rice pudding gets a boost from fat-grained Arborio rice. The starch is released to help thicken the pudding without the need for fussy egg yolks. Vanilla infused in both the pudding and pineapple tie the dessert together with a warm, floral note. You need one full bean, half for each recipe. Since you only need the seeds for the pineapple, save the pod to make vanilla sugar or infuse coffee! Nothing will go to waste.
Makes 6 – 8 servings
Coconut Rice Pudding
- 2 cups (480 grams) whole milk
- 2 cups (473 grams) water
- ¾ cup (148 grams) medium-grained rice, preferably Arborio
- ⅓ cup (66 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ vanilla bean
- One 13.5-ounce can (383 grams) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 large pineapple
- ½ cup (118 grams) water
- ¼ cup (59 grams) dark rum
- ¼ cup (54 grams) brown sugar
- ½ vanilla bean
Make the Rice Pudding:
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the milk, water, rice, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until the rice is mostly cooked and the mixture is starting to thicken, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, bring back to a simmer and cook until thick and creamy, another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean pod and discard. Let the mixture cool slightly before serving warm or at room temperature. It can also be served cold. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Roast the Pineapple:
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Peel, core and slice the pineapple into ½-inch rings. Arrange the slices in a 9-by-13 inch pan.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the water, rum and sugar. Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the mixture and set the pod aside for another use.
- Pour the mixture over the pineapple and roast for 17 to 18 minutes or until tender and caramelized. Set aside to cool slightly before cutting the rings into chunks and serving over the rice pudding. Pineapple can be served warm or cold. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.