Though I’m not a huge fan of the flavor of raw banana, I do love the baked banana flavor in breads and muffins. I figured why not try and improve it with a classic flavor combination by adding strawberries! This recipe is adapted from one I absolutely love by Ina Garten and make all the time. This is a fun twist when strawberries are in season, though you can absolutely use frozen berries that have been defrosted, drained and chopped.
Makes 24 muffins
- 16 tablespoons (227 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups (396 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (150 grams)
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (236 grams) mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 3 cups (390 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (280 grams) chopped strawberries
Make the Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the melted butter and sugar. Whisk in the eggs, milk, vanilla, and finally the bananas.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and then combine them with the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in the chopped strawberries and then use an ice cream scoop to fill the paper liners up to the top. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool slightly on a wire rack before removing. Serve warm or at room temperature. The remaining muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.